Gaming has always been a big part of my life. I grew up with a Nintendo, and then a Sega Genesis, and then a Sony Playstation. When I was a little older I graduated to PC gaming, and then to multiplayer. This was still in the 56K, AOL chat room days of the internet mind you, so multiplayer back then was roleplaying chat rooms or MAYBE a Multi-User Dungeon. But these were the arenas where my role-playing teeth were cut. I spent a large part of my formative years playing a text based MUD called DragonRealms. As there were no pretty graphics or epic soundtracks to add to the experience, the game world and role-playing had to make up for it.
So after years of online role-playing it was very easy for me to pick up D&D, Vampire, and other tabletop role-playing games when I was in high school. After graduating from school, my friends and I continued our weekly games as best we could, sometimes gathering campaigns with upwards of thirteen players. I was always the DM.
After DMing so many campaigns and creating story lines, creatures, and items for all of those games, it became a goal of mine to create a game of my own at some point. Many years and a few attempts later, I had finally come up with a design I was truly happy with – Wounds of Earth.
Wounds of Earth is an alternate reality tabletop role-playing game that is set on Earth in a possibly not-so-distant future. After centuries of rampant pollution and abuse of the planet, the planet has finally begun to fight back. Toxic fogs and mists have blanketed the Earth and nothing has been spared. Flora and fauna both have evolved, or perhaps mutated would be more accurate, and Humankind has been forced into domed-off cities and air-scrubbed tenements in order to survive. Generations later, technology has kept evolving, but the Earth is still plagued and the Human inhabitants of the Earth are still targeted by the environment they once sought to exploit.
- Choose from a diverse class list that blends seamlessly into this new world, while still delivering play styles similar to classes in traditional tabletop role-playing games.
- Explore an alternate United States where grim and bleak dome-cities have replaced once thriving metropolises.
- Augment your physical attributes and mental acuity with bio-mechanical implants and prosthesis.
- Battle mutated animals, zombified people, and twisted occult monsters as you traverse abandoned cities and communities in search of fortune or glory.
- Avoid becoming a walking nightmare by limiting your exposure to the toxic gasses covering the Earth. Make sure you have a respiratory handy at all times, or remain within air-scrubbed enclosures at all costs.
- Interact with the citizens and factions that call the Domes their home through a rich backstory and carefully crafted game world.
- Investigate a secretive shadow government that reigns over the Domes and decide whether to support it, or try to bring it down.
Wounds of Earth will encompass several several major cities and geographical areas around the United States. The first city that will be available with a full backstory, faction list, and outskirt zones will be my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri. Various landmarks and popular areas of the city will be made into outskirt zones or faction headquarters that will serve as dungeon crawling expeditions for player groups. The St. Louis Dome will be situated on the banks of the Mississippi river underneath (and around) the Gateway Arch. A shanty town has been erected around the Dome by people desperate to escape the fumes and gasses slowly turning them mad and rotting their flesh.
Additional cities such as New Orleans, Atlanta, and Detroit are in the works.
The time of hiding is over. Those with gifts and abilities are no longer content to sit quietly on the fringes of society. Instead, they have begun to take over.
In this modern day mage-rush, people have begun to search in earnest for any kind of latent magical ability that may be hiding within them. Schools and institutions of magical learning spring up out of nowhere like fast food restaurants. But underneath the surface of the new magical mother lode is a fight for position and power within the hierarchy of arcane masters. Witches, wizards, and sorcerers all vie with each other in great contests of power and skill, putting their lives on the line to prove their dominance and claim their domain within the world. Unlock your hidden power, develop your skills in a range of magical schools and talents, and obliterate your foes in epic, visceral arcane combat!
As a newly initiated acolyte, you’ll pick your first school of magic and begin learning how to cast both offensive and defensive spells. Almost immediately you will be thrown into intense magical duels, forcing you to learn quickly and adapt to the skills and abilities of rival witches and wizards. Over time and countless battles you will hone your magical craft and become more and more powerful, eventually capable of starting your own magical order or coven!
- Choose your magical path from several major practices such as Traditional Witchcraft, Chaos Magic, Demonolatry, Thelema, and more!
- Collect spell scrolls to fill your book of shadows. Create as many books as you’d like!
- Learn alchemy and craft potions to savage your rival’s abilities and boost your own!
- Battle your way through an epic campaign of menacing foes to assert your magical superiority across the globe.
- Compete with rival witches and wizards in online contests of skill until you are crowned supreme champion, or die trying.